University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR 72701
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, 1984
- M.S., Southern Illinois University, 1978
- B.S., Zoology (minor in Chemistry), 1976
- Post doc, Department of Veterinary Bioscience, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, 1984-1985
- Joined the University of Arkansas in 1985
- Developed a research program focused on antioxidants and toxicology with an NIH grant received in 1987
- Became Associate Director of the Center of Excellence for Poultry Science (CEPS) in 1995 (with a 30% administrative appointment)
- Named Department Head and Director of the CEPS in 2003
- Returned to research and teaching with the CEPS in 2008
- POSC 3042 Animal Physiology II
- Current research focus is on the role mitochondria play in the phenotypic expression of feed efficiency in broilers. This research has been supported by grants from USDA-NRI and Cobb-Vantress, Inc. (Siloam Springs, AR)
- Previous research focused on the role of mitochondria in the pathophysiology of ascites (pulmonary hypertension syndrome)
- Bottje, W., M.D. Brand, C. Ojano-Dirain, K. Lassiter, M. Toyomizu, and T. Wing. 2009. Mitochondrial proton leak kinetics and relationship with feed efficiency within a single genetic line of male broilers. Poultry Sci. 88:1683-1693.
- Bottje, W. G. and G. E. Carstens, 2009. Association of mitochondrial function and feed efficiency in poultry and livestock species. J. Anim. Sci. 87:E48-E63.
- Ojano-Dirain, C., N. B. Tinsley, T. Wing, M. Cooper, and W. Bottje, 2007. Membrane potential and hydrogen peroxide production in duodenal mitochondria in broilers chickens (Gallus gallus) with low and high feed efficiency. Comp. Biochem Physiol. 147:934-941
- Ojano-Dirain, C.P, N.R. Pumford, M. Toyomizu and W. G. Bottje, 2007. Association of mitochondrial function and feed efficiency. J. Poultry Sci. 44:221-237.
- K. Lassiter, M. Iqbal, N. R. Pumford, C. Ojano-Dirain, N. Tinsley, T. Wing, M. Cooper, and W. Bottje, 2006. Differential expression of mitochondrial and extra-mitochondrial proteins in lymphocytes of low and high feed efficient male broilers. Poultry Sci. 85:2251-2259.
- Bottje, W., N. Pumford, C. Ojano-Dirain, M. Iqbal, and K. Lassiter, 2006. Feed efficiency and Mitochondrial Function. Poult. Sci. 85:8-14.
- Ojano-Dirain, C., W. Bottje, T. Wing and M. Cooper, 2005. Glutathione and respiratory chain complex activities in duodenal mitochondria from broilers with low and high feed efficiency. Poultry Sci. 84:782-788.
- Iqbal, M., Pumford, N., Lassiter, K., Tang, Z. X., Wing, T., M. Cooper, W. G. Bottje, 2005. Compromised Liver Mitochondrial Function and Complex Activity in Low Feed Efficient Broilers Within a Single Genetic Line Associated With Higher Oxidative Stress and Differential Protein Expression. Poult. Sci. 84:933-941.
- Ojano-Dirain, C., N.R. Pumford, M. Iqbal, T. Wing, and M. Cooper, W. G. Bottje, 2005. Biochemical evaluation of mitochondrial respiratory chain in duodenum of low and high feed efficient broilers, 2005. Poult. Sci. 84: 1926-1934.
- Ojano-Dirain, C., M. Iqbal, D. Cawthon, S. Swonger, T. Wing, M. Cooper, and W. Bottje, 2004. Determination of mitochoncrial function and site-specific defects in electron transport in duodenal mitochondria in broilers with low and high feed efficiancy. Poultry Sci. 83:1394-1403.
- Iqbal, M., N. R. Pumford, Z. X. Tang, K. Lassiter, T. Wing, M. Cooper, and W. Bottje, 2004. Low Feed Efficient Broilers Within a Single Genetic Line Exhibit Higher Oxidative Stress and Protein Expression in Breast Muscle With Lower Mitochondrial Complex Activity. Poultry Sci. 83: 474-484.
- Bottje, W. G., M. Iqbal, C. Ojano-Dirain, N. R. Pumford, and K. Lassiter, 2004. Role of mitochondria in the phenotypic expression of feed efficiency. J. Appl. Poultry Res. 13:94-105.
- Cawthon D, M Iqbal, J Brand, R McNew, and WG Bottje, 2004. Investigation of Proton Conductance in Liver Mitochondria of Broilers with Pulmonary Hypertension Syndrome. Poultry Sci. 83: 259-265.
- Bottje W.B. , Z Tang, M Iqbal, D Cawthon, R Okimoto, T Wing, M Cooper, 2002. Association of mitochondrial function with feed efficiency within a single genetic line of male broilers. Poultry Sci. 81: 546-555.
- Tang Z, M Iqbal, D Cawthon, and WG Bottje, 2002. Heart and muscle mitochondrial dysfunction in pulmonary hypertension syndrome in broilers (Gallus domesticus) Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 132:527-540.
- Iqbal M, JD Freiburger, GF Erf, and WG Bottje, 2002. Immunohistochemical Evidence of Cytochrome c Oxidase Subunit II Involvement in Pulmonary Hypertension Syndrome (PHS) in Broilers. Poultry Sci. 81:1231-1235.